Mosaic Climbing is Ohio’s premier climbing facility. Dedicated climbers ourselves, we spent hundreds of hours tweaking our wall designs in order to give our setters a superb, inspiring canvas on which to design routes and problems that bring joy to our customers. Our setters receive more flexibility with their schedule than any other position. We provide our setters with high quality tools, including hundreds of volumes and countless holds from all over the world. We recognize the physical toll setting places on the body, and we’ve made an effort to minimize it by delegating stripping and washing, asking setters to set only 3-4 days per week, and supplying setters with low-impact oil impulse drivers and a boom lift to reduce time spent hanging in a harness. We send our setters on fully-paid, regular trips to destinations such as Joe’s Valley, Red Rocks, and HP40. In return, we expect our setting crew to be involved in all aspects of the facility. Setters should be familiar with how to give orientations and belay lessons and how to man the desk in a pinch. Setters are also expected to know what is going on in the facility and to make an effort to interact with and grow our customer base by developing unique programs of their own. We expect every employee at Mosaic to be deeply committed to serving our customers on a daily basis as well as helping us realize the long-term dreams we aspire to.
To apply, send your resume and personal essay to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Set quality and quantity standards for our facility. We don’t keep average routes up, only the best. Only accept great routes, don’t be afraid to strip and teach.
- Be an active director and participant during forerunning. We consider setting to be a very collaborative effort, and we expect our setters to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Create and implement a program for the development of route setters.
- Create weekly and monthly assignments for setting team that include not only a quota but member outreach efforts as well.
- Actively work to make setting fun and change up the routine by creating challenges for your setting team.
- Schedule member outreach efforts on a monthly basis, whether that be offering a unique set, engaging in a program that benefits members and gets setters interacting, or setting for an event.
- Consistently and effectively obtain member feedback and use this feedback to improve our product.
- Regularly attend training.
- Regularly climb outside.
- Help to maintain a clean, organized setting environment by sorting holds and bolts and replacing all tools in their proper home after use.
- Create assignments for (and assist when necessary with) stripping, washing, cleaning walls, and tidying up holds room.
- Be a leader by example: help with the non-glamorous tasks of stripping and organizing the holds room, set very high quality routes and problems and hold yourself to the highest standard, be the hardest working individual on the team.
- Be aware of overall circuit style, grade distribution within each circuit, and repeating themes. Set and deliver assignments in a way that creates a better circuit by filling in style or grade holes.
- Schedule and facilitate entire setting team discussions regarding grade distribution, styles, and missing elements in each circuit. Demonstrate that you value this input.
- Work with setting team to offer a novel setting product by creating themed sets or competition sets that challenge our members in new ways.
- Require all setting staff to meet facility and OSHA safety standards by wearing ear and eye protection at all times while setting, and following work at height regulations when operating the lift or working on a rope. The safety of you, your coworkers, and our customers is paramount.
- Regularly work with members on your problems, watching where they struggle and succeed. Make sure you choose members of various body types and physical capabilities.
- Maintain a professional appearance and attitude at all times, and understand that you represent Mosaic whether you are on the clock or not.
- Get to know Mosaic’s target market and strive to set the highest quality, most engaging problems and routes, no matter the circuit.
- Constantly work to improve our routesetting product as well as the Mosaic work environment by creating a positive environment and a clear path of promotion for route setters.
- Maintain a comprehensive route and problem log that enables you to see at broad glance the needs of the facility.
Set with very large and heavy volumes, move around ladders, and operate a lift.
- Exude positivity; bring people up to your level and foster creativity in your team.
- ABILITY TO WORK WEEKENDS.
- MINIMUM LEAD CLIMBING ABILITY OF 5.13.
- MINIMUM BOULDERING ABILITY OF V10.
- EXCELLENT LEAD AND TOP-ROPE BELAY SKILLS.
- ATTEND ALL GYM EVENTS.
- PHYSICAL STRENGTH AND MANUAL DEXTERITY REQUIRED. SETTING IS A
- VERY LABOR INTENSIVE JOB, AND YOU WILL BE ASKED TO REPEATEDLY
- LIFT LARGE VOLUMES OVERHEAD, CARRY LADDERS AND OTHER HEAVY
- HOLDS, AND STRIP AND SCRUB LARGE PORTIONS OF WALL SPACE.
- MINIMUM 2 YEARS COMMERCIAL SETTING EXPERIENCE.
- CPR/FIRST AID/AED CERTIFIED
- ABILITY TO OPERATE A LIFT.
- ABILITY TO OPERATE POWER TOOLS, INCLUDING IMPACTS AND POWER WASHERS.